- To ensure that the school provides your child with a “free appropriate public education” (FAPE)
- To build a healthy working relationship with the school
- Learn about your child’s disability
- Know the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education
- Prepare for the meeting with the Committee on Special Education
- Share outside evaluations and make them a part of the record
- Keep copies of all records in a three ring binder
- Attend meetings neatly dressed with a positive attitude and be on time
- Be comfortable where you sit
- Do not start until everyone is present
- Make sure introductions are made
- Bring a picture of your child to place on the table
- Do not argue or attack
- Use collaborative language
Acknowledge what is said
- Summarize in your own words. Active listening helps others understand you heard even if you do not agree. Active listening helps you process what has been said.
- A positive working partnership between you your school district’s professionals will help your child in the classroom.
- Remember our goal is not to litigate, but to provide our children with a free appropriate public education.
“Opening the Doors of Opportunity through Special Education”